This February, as we celebrate Black History Month, we would like to observe the history of the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry and remember our own Dr. Edwin A. Robinson.
Originally from Lakes Charles, Louisiana, Dr. Robinson graduated from Cornell University in 1939, prior to arriving at the University of Rochester. Dr. Robinson graduated from the School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1943, and completed his coursework in just three-and-a-half years as part of the accelerated program. The accelerated program was designed to help get more medics into the field during World War II. Dr. Robinson served in the army during the war.
Dr. Robinson completed internships at Strong Memorial Hospital, Beth Israel and Harlem Hospitals in New York, and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. After the war, he returned to Rochester where he opened a local practice in 1950 and later served two terms as president of Highland Hospital’s medical staff from 1967 through 1968. He served on the boards of directors of the Salvation Army and Otetiana Council, Boy Scouts of America.
Dr. Robinson actively recruited black students to the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. In addition to his work with the University of Rochester, Dr. Robinson spent over three decades helping raise millions of dollars for the Tuskegee Institute at the behest of Booker T. Washington.
We honor Dr. Robinson for his duty to this country during World War II and for his invaluable contributions to our local communities through his work as a physician and his numerous activities in community service.